ASIS Report: Security Professionals Salaries Up 2 Per Cent
Posted by Security Electronics and Networks | @Articles News | September 23, 2012, 7:00am AEST
The study, titled the 2012 “U.S. Security Salary Survey” also stated that respondents who had Certified Protection Professional (CPP) certification reported a median compensation of $111,000, and an average of $130,000, 8 per cent higher than the average for the survey population at large.
The survey also revealed that compensations levels varied by region. For example, security professionals in the South Atlantic area reported the highest median compensation of $115,000, while New England posted the highest average salary of $242,000. Security professionals in the West North Central region reported the lowest compensation with a median of
$88,000 and an average of $96,000.
Security professionals employed by publicly traded firms reported a 7per cent increase in median compensation ($117,000) this year compared to 2011, while those employed by privately held companies saw median compensation rates of $100,000.
Of the 15 per cent of respondents that reported working in the public sector, the state and local levels earned the lowest median compensations — $85,000 and $88,000 respectfully, with average compensation of $88,000 and $91,000. In contrast, those in the federal government earned a higher compensation than those in any other type of organization.
Other key findings include:
* 44 per cent of respondents reported more than 20 years’ experience and earned a median compensation of $113,000 and an average of $134,000
* 32 per cent of respondents held a master’s degree and earned a median compensation of $116,000 and average of $138,000
* 57 per cent of respondents held a CPP designation and earn a median compensation of $111,000 and average of $130,000
* 11 per cent of respondents held a Preferred Solution Provider (PSP) and reported a median compensation of $98,000 and average of $108,000
* 5 per cent of respondents hold a Professional Certified Investigator (PCI) and earned a median of $102,000 and average compensation of $117,000.
Now in its ninth year, the U.S. Security Salary Survey reflects the responses of 1,438 U.S. members of ASIS Int’l and reports out responses in 11 industries and nine geographic regions. Complete survey results will be available next month at the 58th Annual Seminar and Exhibits in Philadelphia.